I received this email and I wanted to share it with you. Most of all I want Abdullah Badawi to read it. It touched me and reminds me to stop bitching.
Are you that poor ? Why are you complaining about the cost of living? I think I am the "poor" one here.
Let me tell you about my poverty.
My take home income is RM2,500/mth, my wife is RM 1,400. Our combined take home is RM3,900.
1 year ago when we could make this income, we were both so happy and contented. Isn't this a good income for a household with 2 adults, 1 granny, & 2 kids?
The following are our monthly costs and you tell me where else I can save.
Mortgage (single storey terrace Cheras) = RM1,000
Car HP (Kelissa) = RM900
Why do we have a car? I must send my wife to work, and kids to school because we worked out the costs and found it "cheaper" if I took everyone. Also the bus service where we live is far away, and not frequent.
Did we need to buy a house? We also worked out that paying a little more (than renting), will let us own a property in the end.
After mortgage & HP, our balance is RM2,000
Electricity, water, phone = RM 100 (no air cond)
2 Kids SchoolBus Home & to Tuition = RM 150
Grocery & Marketing = RM 600
Astro for Granny = Rm 80
My & my wife's lunch: RM5/day/person x 20days/mth= RM 200
Petrol: RM 150 to RM200
sub-total: RM 350
Rm 720 is our "savings" provided
- Granny & kids do not fall sick,
- car does not break down,
- no relatives' weddings or funerals,
- no hari raya or new school year starting,
- no eating out
The same savings must pay for our income tax, pintu cukai, kids tertiary education, our own retirement & any other emergencies.
I really do not know how others with less income than we can survive in Kuala Lumpur if we think we are finding it tough.
Aunty. I really don't know how much more of our belts we can tighten because I am getting more and more stressed everyday.
Increasingly I find myself
- snapping at my family when anyone leaves a light on for 5 minutes longer or if a tap is not turned off tight.
- wanting to kill someone when there is a traffic jam because my petrol is burning away.
- not daring to take the family to the mall for jalan jalan in case they see something I can not or do not want to buy
- fighting with granny or my wife that they are not shopping around to buy cheaper rice, toilet paper etc.
- praying the house & car have no problems
So, since when did the quality of my life deteriorate to this level that I worry about everything this much?
(end of email)