Uncle was just telling me to calm down
He (the old wise one) says if we are panicking, he can't imagine what reactions we can expect from those earning a low to moderate fixed income with duties, responsbilities, encumbrances etc.
He has a point. What is really there for us to worry about?
After all, we were once Dinky Yuppies ("double-income-no-kids"), the dream of marketers.
We were after all, once high flyers. We were also good savers, & planners for our future retirement.
Not many plan out their every possible expense item on an excel spreadsheet - but we did.
So we thought "YEAP. We are Prepared!"
BUT now I can no longer accept I am "comfortably well-off*".
* For us, the definition of comfortably well-off means no mortgage, no HP, no need to really scrimp on utility, food or fuel, recreation, entertainment, 2 nice cars, travel wherever, whenever, some money in the pocket to burn etc.
So where once we have prudently saved to be comfortable, I really am no longer "comfortable" - what with today's skyrocketing-to-the-heavens prices.
Heck! We don't need to buy a Soyuz. We ARE the Soyuz!!
Aunty's soh-paw doomsday prediction: High Inflation, & possibly & probably Recession in the next year.
And you know with our Government, SIGH SIGH SIGH!!!
I wonder if our wise Leaders realize who are the real victims in this whole 40% fuel jump fiasco.
I am no economist but I figure the real victims are
- Anyone with a Fixed income
- Anyone with a mortgage & vehicle payments
- Anyone with a single income
- Anyone with a young family
- Anyone with elderly dependants
Would that be like 95% of us?
You know what else I fear?
- Rising Crime rates (bad enough but will get worst),
- The old, sick & handicapped being abandoned
- More addictions including gambling & drugs,
- People no longer caring for, nor being able to afford to contribute to charities etc
So tell me now.
If I am sitting here thousands of kms away and feeling F**ked, what must those of you in Malaysia be feeling?
I think it may be time to angkat sarong & lari oh!