Friday, 29 August 2008

Merdeka in my Eyes

Sit down comfortably. Now, close your eyes & think of the word "Merdeka".

Quickly now. Tell me what are the images that comes to your mind?

For me.

I see our Flag - freshly laundered, flying high, waving to me in the wind.

I see many people - smiling, chatting & eating together in a lovely garden. It looks just like a P Ramlee movie set!! :)

I see a table groaning under the weight of satay, rendang, sambal, rojak penang, murtabak, stringhoppers, chee cheong fun, nasi lemak...oh YUMS!

Maybe that is really what Merdeka means - at least - for greedy old sentimental me.

That this day is a Celebration of our Nation's Independence from All Lords & Masters.

That this day is a Celebration of our Ability to Rule for ourselves wisely

That this day is a Celebration of the Same People but our different Cultures

That this day is a Celebration of the Unity of our different Religions but the same Values

That this day is a Celebration of our Right to stand Shoulder to Shoulder, Eye to Eye as Malaysians

OK. And then I opened my eyes

No comments: