Friday, 24 October 2008

Death by credit card?

I am still watching the news avidly to see when they will announce the next financial tsunami ie that of credit card debts.

When I was a tad younger, credit card debts were MY big ticket item since I didn't own a house & didn't even have a car. I think these days, people have worst problems since they normally have a mortgage, car payment & credit card debts.

I can only give the same tips I used for myself when I started getting into credit card debts.

1. Keep only 1 card & even then, put it away from your wallet. That will be for real emergencies.

2. Cut your other cards into 2 & Cancel the subscriptions

3. Use cash to buy everything. If you don't have cash with you, this means you have no money left to buy anything.

Don't say you don't want to have to carry all that cash around with you. Trust me. If you need more than RM100/day, you are already in deep doodoo.

4. Talk to family & friends to help you with a loan to pay off all your credit card debt.

Better losing your pride now than having to service your credit card debt at 17%/annum (or whatever it is now)

Cash has always been King. Not just precredit card days. ALWAYS. So if you ain't got it, you ain't gonna spend it.

I learnt it a long time back as my 1st real lesson in financial management. Best darn lesson I ever learnt.

Good luck to you & pardon me while I keep my cards away now!

No comments: