Tuesday, 6 January 2009

The Story of Sophie Scholl - VERY inspiring!

Now I truly believe in "Everything Happens for a Reason"

I do not usually watch anything on TV, especially a movie between the times of 6 to 8pm.
That's the time I am trying to come up with something called dinner. Or what passes for dinner - that looks like I spent the whole day lovingly preparing it for my family. Sorta justifies my existence in the family. Homemakers everywhere will know what I am trying to say.
I only meant to switch on the TV to catch the horrific news on Gaza but the TV happened to be on the channel with this movie.

So, due to watching "Sophie Scholl - The Final Days" a German movie (with English subtitles lah), I totally ignored cooking dinner (& thus jeopardizing my existence as HomeMaker) until after 8pm.

I figured that God must want me to watch this movie - which is the exact excuse I gave to the family when dinner was served at 9pm! ("Talk to God, not me, ok?")

This movie is truly worth watching. The lumps in my throat. The speeches & conviction makes one think. It is as applicable now as it was during WW2.

In short, Sophie (21yrs old) & her brother & friends were executed for acts of treason in Germany during 1943.

They were anti-Nazi & wrote propaganda to encourage the Germans to be passive about the war & Hitler. When asked why (when she can get out of this mess by denouncing the others & disassociating herself) she would risk her life to break the law, her reply was "Laws can change, CONSCIENCE does not"

I strongly encourage you to watch this award winning movie made in 2005. Donwload it. Buy it. Whatever. Get the Kleenex ready but it is NOT the typical Holocaust movie. It answers the question of "Why did all the Germans not react to the horrors of Hitler?"

Paula sweetie - YOU will love it.

More on Sophie & the White Rose resistance below:

1 comment:

masterwordsmith said...

Wow!! Sister,

You sure knew I was excited by the time I reached midway of your post!!! I have a penchant for such movies and "Amen" is another one that I love and also "As far as my feet will carry me" plus a few other WW2 human drama movies.

I don't know why Sophie Scholl slipped through the gaps. I will definitely try to get my hands on it!!

Just reading that line:
"Laws can change, CONSCIENCE does not" not only brought a lump or two to my throat but tears to my eyes in memory of what I went through. Yup. I stand before God and know that I did what I wanted to do with a clear conscience for the good of the nation.

Some people regard me as a weakling for the emo part of me that cries so easily but I comfort myself when I look at the exemplary life of Sophie...This is what touched me (picked up from the link you provided):

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just do not dare express themselves as we did."

Gobloking, even without watching the movie, I cried so much when i read this:

Her last words were, partially, "Die Sonne scheint noch"—"The sun still shines" while her full comments were as follows: "How can we expect righteousness to prevail when there is hardly anyone willing to give himself up individually to a righteous cause. Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go. But what does my death matter, if through us thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?"

I can almost imagine the scene in my mind and also how you must have cried then if this scene had been depicted in the movie and how I would be howling when I get to watch it...

I just hope and pray that the little things said and done by socially and politically conscious citizens will go a long, long way in stirring people to a much needed awakening....

Thanks for this post, Gobloking.

Most meaningful.

Take care.