Saturday, 15 May 2010

Why I want to be Queen

Dang! I have been busier than a squirrel hoarding nuts for the winter!

Come to think of it, I have been so preoccupied, my eye brows have grown bushier than the tail of a squirrel.

This morn when I looked into the mirror I thought "Hey! I know that person. Ain't that the nice Sikh man who did the Big, Strong & Friendly commercial for Standard Chartered?"

That damn squirrel woulda been envious of my tail. Except it's on my face.

Why the busy-ness? Aunty's been substituting for our neigbourhood "penghulu" as he's laid low for now

And we needed to do an urgent project for "Homeland Security". Nah. Not the Neighbourhood RT (rukun tetangga) Patrol.

More like how to give residents our rights back & at the same time improve Neighbourhood Watch in our family dominated area.

If you see a tired Aunty holding an umbrella with a green bag going door to door? It's me. Don't just pass me by. Pass me an ice lolly & then pass me by please.

But truly. Everything happens for a reason. And it also happens to help us learn lessons in life.

And so, I have to thank this thankless work for intro-ing me to the Good, the Bad & (MAN!) the REALLY ugly!

The Good. Some of the nicest people (title, brains etc) were also the humblest. They even asked politely if they should put their (rightfully earned) title on the petition to further the cause.

And extra brownie points for offering me a glass of water. And a seat. Out of the heat. Heck! For even allowing me to step into their garden is a great thing!

The Bad. Not as teruk as the Ugly but bad enuf. They tell me "After everyone sign then I sign".
"Do you want to sign?"
"OH YES! We should stand united on this. BUT I don't want people to know it's me"
Or "I know its a good thing but if everyone signs then you don't need me, right?"

"But I am standing here now (in the heat feasted on by mossies if I may add), so please sign if you want to so I don't have to come back?"

"Never mind. Just come back. And by the way. Next time can you also make sure the garbage truck don't throw my bin around?"

The Ugly. If you thought the bad were unreasonable & demanding, then the Ugly takes the cake.

Asking (& explaining) for support was like asking them to pay me to take their 1st born away.

My stance is simple. Want? Sign. Thank you.
Don't want? Thank you. You have every right to do as you please.

But when the ugly accuses me of being "unhumanistic, uncharitable & unkind to the downtrodden" - as if they are paying me to abuse me - that really gets to me.

You know this Aunty lah. I am a free thinker. I don't believe good works need come only from one's religious conviction. Good works can come just about from anyone so long as the heart's in the right place.

You see. This here case is a "delicate" case of our mini Homeland Security in the neighbourhood. & we aren't even talking of a guarded community.

It's about showing the boot to an unwelcome "community" project someone plonked down on us. They mean well. A good thing in the wrong place.

All this family residential community could see was a community service which in no way benefits us. Not even an iota.

And people were pianopiano about it too. By operating behind closed gates & giving it an innocuous title such as "church/temple work".

For years. Until it grew so big, it expanded. Then the S hit the proverbial fan.

Yes. You are right. My own hypocrisy took a big time bite back at the bitch. Like doing voluntary work in a deprived place then going back to my own little serene & safe home where I don't have to see anything. At my own time. In someone's else backyard.

But this is not Africa Dorothy.

This is Malaysia. So I don't get it how none of us were given a chance to object before the permits were granted by the relevant authorities.

Even as we blissfully went about our lives asking "Eh. Why is the security here declining ah?" resulting in the furious fortification of our homes...and NOW we know!

I so totally disagree that anyone should lose out on (an already fragile) peace of mind in a busy city.

Let alone be stripped of the right to say "aye" or "nay"
Which is why I have been doing this.

I have now new found respect for rights activists & politicians who goes campaigning.

Because 1 critical thing this whole fiasco's made me realilze. Unless they made me Queen unconditionally, this Aunty's NEVER going to campaign no more!

1 comment:

zorro said...

Take heart Aunty...I will drag you along for Bersih II. Practise now lah.